Wednesday, November 29, 2006

12 Days of Christmas

The first thing I found out is... 12 Days of Christmas is NOT 12 days before Christmas. It's twelve days from Christmas until the beginning of Epiphany (January 6th; the 12 days count from December 25th until January 5th). Epiphany is usually celebrated as the time the Wise Men or Magi arrived to present gifts to the young Jesus.

The popular song "The Twelve Days of Christmas" is usually seen as simply a nonsense song for children. But some see it as an educational song for teaching young children.

I have some reservations about its historical and theological accuracy, obviously not all of it is correct…but, take it with a grind of salt….it’s kinda interesting:

First of all, Ture Love if not your boyfriend/girlfriend, it's the Love of God... (I guess I can't ask hubby for 5 x Golden Rings afterall eh? Yeee...Almost got it ma! =p)

On the 1st day of Christmas my true love gave to me...
A Partridge in a Pear Tree

Jesus Christ, whose birthday we celebrate on December 25, the first day of Christmas.

On the 2nd day of Christmas my true love gave to me...

Two Turtle Doves
The Old and New Testaments

On the 3rd day of Christmas my true love gave to me...
Three French Hens

Faith + Hope + Love

On the 4th day of Christmas my true love gave to me...

Four Calling Birds
The Four Gospels

On the 5th day of Christmas my true love gave to me...
Five Gold Rings

The first Five Books of the Old Testament, known as the Torah: 1) Genesis, 2) Exodus, 3) Leviticus, 4) Numbers, and 5) Deuteronomy

On the 6th day of Christmas my true love gave to me...

Six Geese A-laying
The six days of creation

On the 7th day of Christmas my true love gave to me...
Seven Swans A-swimming
The seven gifts of the Holy Spirit: 1) prophecy, 2) ministry, 3) teaching, 4) exhortation, 5) giving, 6) leading, and 7) compassion

On the 8th day of Christmas my true love gave to me...
Eight Maids A-milking

The eight Beatitudes: 1) Blessed are the poor in spirit, 2) those who mourn, 3) the meek, 4) those who hunger and thirst for righteousness, 5) the merciful, 6) the pure in heart, 7) the peacemakers, 8) those who are persecuted for righteousness' sake.
(Matthew 5:3-10)


On the 9th day of Christmas my true love gave to me...
Nine Ladies Dancing

The nine Fruit of the Holy Spirit: 1) love, 2) joy, 3) peace, 4) patience, 5) kindness,6) generosity, 7) faithfulness, 8) gentleness, and 9) self-control.
(Galatians 5:22)


On the 10th day of Christmas my true love gave to me...
Ten Lords A-leaping

The ten commandments

On the 11th day of Christmas my true love gave to me...
Eleven Pipers Piping

The eleven Faithful Apostles

On the 12th day of Christmas my true love gave to me...
Twelve Drummers Drumming

The twelve points of doctrine in the Apostle’s Creed: I believe in God, the Father almighty, creator of heaven and earth. 2) I believe in Jesus Christ, his only Son, our Lord. 3) He was conceived by the power of the Holy Spirit and born of the virgin Mary. 4) He suffered under Pontius Pilate, was crucified, died, and was buried. He descended into hell [the grave]. 5) On the third day he rose again. He ascended into heaven, and is seated at the right hand of the Father. 6) He will come again to judge the living and the dead. 7) I believe in the Holy Spirit, 8) the holy catholic Church, 9) the communion of saints, 10) the forgiveness of sins, 11) the resurrection of the body, 12) and life everlasting.

well...I don't agree with all of it...but, at least I now know what the song's about! =)

No comments: